Swedish born clarinetist, Karin Dornbusch has been much in demand as a soloist and chamber musician since completing her studies at the Hochschule der Künste in Berlin, Germany and the Musikakademie der Stadt Basel, Switzerland. Her active schedule includes performances as a featured soloist with the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, the Basel Symphony Orchestra, the Malmö Symphony Orchestra, the Zagreb Symphony Orchestra, the Swedish Radio Orchestra, the Norrköping Symphony Orchestra and Musica Vitae together with conductors like Armin Jordan, Daniel Harding, Pavle Dešpalj, Arvo Volmer and Petri Sakari. In the press, she has been referred to as one of the promising young stars of the clarinet and with each new performance continues to inspire and impress her audiences and critics alike. She has appeared several times on radio and television, including a solo performance recorded live by Swedish television (SVT) at the 1997 Nobel Prize Awards ceremony. She has also been awarded many prizes and has recorded two CD's for Caprice Records. The third CD,"Nordic Clarinetconcertos" including works by Carl Nielsen, Jouni Kaipainen and John Fernström was nominated for the swedish CD-Prize "Grammis 2007" in the category "Classical Soloist of the Year". Since Autumn 2004 is Karin one of the Artistic Directors of Camerata Variabile in Basel, Switzerland and since 2006 is she the Artistic Director of Båstad Chamber Music Festival, Sweden.
- H.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, awards the clarinetist Karin Dornbusch the Medal Litteris et Artibus for outstanding artistic services as clarinetist. (2009)
- Winner of the Soloist Prize in Stockholm (1996) endowed by the Swedish Royal Academy of Music and American Express.
- Basler Orchester Gesellschafts „1.Prize for promotion of young Aspiring Young Musicians“ (1996)
- Recitals in Stockholm's Concert Hall, Vienna's Concert Hall, Symphony Hall in Birmingham, Alte Oper, Frankfurt and Athen's Concert Hall as part of "The Rising Stars" concert series.
- Contemporary music concert in Stockholm (1998) entitled, "Pulse" unifying musicians and dancers in an exciting and unique way. This project was co-produced and choreographed by Eva Nissen, the principal dancer from the Royal Opera House in Stockholm.
- W.A Mozart Clarinet Concerto KV 622 together with the chamber orchestra of the Basler Orchestergesellschaft conducted by Armin Jordan.
- She performed with numerous chamber music ensembles like the Bartokquartet, Rosamundequartet, Vertavoquartet, Joachimquartet, Yggdrasilquartet and the Hubermanquartet. Futhermore, she has worked with well-known pianists such as Peter Frankl, Gerard Wyss, Georges Pludelmacher, Janos Solyom, Jan Eyron, Carl-Axel Dominique, Bengt-Åke Lundin, Håvard Gimse, Per Lundberg, Stefka Perifanova and Matti Hirvonen, the violinists Atle Sponberg, Guy Braunstein und Dan Almgren, the cellists Leonid Gorokhov, Martti Rousi, Alban Gerhard, Kati Raitinen and John Ehde.
- Her broad repertoire stretches across from the classical and romantic period to contemporary music, which she performes, for example, with the Ensemble Modern, Frankfurt as well as the Klangforum Wien.
- Several appearances on Swedish Radio (SR), for example Johannes Brahms Clarinet Quintet with the Zetterqvistquartet , the concert Puls in the Culture House in Stockholm with contemporary solo-and chambermusic, Aaron Coplands clarinet concerto together with Musica Vitae and Peter Csaba from a concert in the concerthall in Växjö.
- Mozart Clarinet Quintet together with the Vertavo Quartet (Norwegian Radio)
- The series, Debut on Sender Freies Berlin.
- Soloist together with the Swedish Radioorchestra and the conductor Stefan Solyom in the Berwaldhall with music from McMillans clarinetconcerto. Liverecorded by the swedish Radio(SR) and Television (SVT)
- Appearance at the the Worldpremiere, the Radio- and the Televisionrecording (SR, SVT) of Tommie Haglunds "Birgittamusic" at the celebration of Holy Birgitta 700-year Jubilee in Vadstena, june 2003.
Ensembles / Projects:
- Several concertprograms with her sister Åsa Dornbusch, mezzo soprano and Matti Hirvonen / Stefka Perifanova, piano
- Duoprogram with the well-known Swedish oboe player, Helén Jahren
- Duoprogram with the percussionist Johan Bridger, the winner of the Soloistprize 2004
- ABSOLUT SCHWEDISCH: Swedish folk music together with contemporary influences, jazz and improvisations. Compositions and arrangements by Karin Dornbusch and others.
Hans Dornbusch recitativo/tenor; Karin Dornbusch, clarinets/voice, Sandra Brigger and Sascha Armbruster, saxophones; Benedikt Vonder Mühll, double bass and guests.
- „Clarinet“; Music by Francaix, Berg, Stravinski, Reich, Olah, Martinu, Bernstein, Kovacs, Denisov
Karin Dornbusch, clarinet; Erik Lanninger, piano
Caprice Records (1996) CAP21551
- „Concerto for Clarinet by Aaron Copland“
Karin Dornbusch, clarinet; Musica Vitae; Peter Csaba, conductor
Caprice Records (1998) CAP21591
- „Nordic Clarinetconcertos“ by Carl Nielsen, John Fernström and Jouni Kaipainen
Karin Dornbusch, clarinet; Gävle Symphony Orchestra; Petri Sakari, conductor
Caprice Records ( 2005 CAP) 21 649
Karin Dornbusch clarinet, Simon Gaudenz, conductor, Collegium Musicum Basel
W.A. Mozart Clarinet Concerto, GENUIN Classics
Last Updated (Thursday, 09 December 2010 14:51)